Markandeya | Shiva | Yama
Size :16*16 inches
- The Image shown in website is decoupage painting.
- If the entered Pin code shows as not serviceable, don’t worry we will self ship your order
1 in stock
Add to cart
- The great sage Mrikandu Rishi and his wife Marudmati worshipped Shiva and sought from him the boon of begetting a son.
- As a result, he was given the choice of either a righteous son, but with a short life on earth or a child of low intelligence but with a long life. Mrikandu rishi chose the former, and was blessed with Markandeya, an exemplary son, destined to die at the age of 16.
- Markandeya grew up to be a great devotee of Shiva and on the day of his destined death he continued his worship of Shiva in his aniconic form of Shiva lingam.
- The messengers of Yama, the god of death were unable to take away his life because of his great devotion and continual worship of Shiva. Yama then came in person to take away Markandeya’s life, and sprung his noose around the young sage’s neck.
- By accident or fate the noose mistakenly landed around the Shivalingam, and out of it, Shiva emerged in all his fury attacking Yama for his act of aggression.
- After defeating Yama in battle to the point of death, Shiva then revived him, under the condition that the devout youth would live forever. For this act, Shiva was thereafter also known as Kalantaka (“Ender of Death”).
- It is the painting reworked by small artists.
- In 1940-1960’s artists like C.Kondiah raju, Mu.Ramalingam works with big company in timing schedule. In those days small company used to create painting with small artists.
- Small Artists used to rework the artwork by great artists like Kondiah raju, Ramalingam, Murugakani, B.G.Sharma, Indra Sharma and so on..