Artist Indra Sharma (1923 – 2006) of Kurawad in Rajasthan was a cousin of B.G. Sharma, both of whom worked in the Nathdwara art tradition. His early training in painting took place under the direction of two masters, Gopilal and Khubilal from whom he learned the basic skills of making paints and brushes. In 1943, he was invited to Karachi to repaint some pichhwais at a famous temple, where he also painted some original compositions. From there, he was brought to Kolkata by one of his patrons Seth Gokuldas. The Seth later sent Artist Indra Sharma to the famous JJ School of Art in Mumbai for further studies.
The artist’s ability to produce sublime images of saints and deities set against beautiful surroundings won him much critical acclaim. Artist Indra Sharma devotional streak comes through in the mystic metaphor of paintings that he creates as his offering to the divine. Mass distribution of his paintings of gods from the Hindu pantheon, reproduced as calendars and cards and displayed in homes and temples of millions added to his popularity. Exhibited in numerous exhibitions and illustrated in publications. Artist Indra Sharma work is part of many private and public collections in India and worldwide.